I’m involved in a financial remedy case – which Form E should I use?

‘Financial remedy’ is a term used to describe various types of family law court applications concerning money or property. The most common type of financial remedy application is made in connection with divorce proceedings, but they are made in other situations as well.

Whatever the situation, the court will require both parties to provide relevant details of their means, so that it can decide the case. This is achieved by the parties completing a financial statement, known as a ‘Form E’, and sending copies to the court and the other party.

But there are different types of Form E, depending upon the type of application. These are designated Form E, Form E1 and Form E2.

So which one should you use?

As mentioned, the most common type of financial remedy application is in connection with divorce proceedings. For this, you should use the ‘original’ Form E, which is the most comprehensive of the three forms.

This Form E is also used in financial remedy applications on civil partnership dissolution, judicial separation, annulment and applications for financial relief after an overseas divorce.

But in some financial remedy situations the court does not need to have all of the information required by the original Form E.

This is where Form E1 comes in. Form E1 is used for all other types of financial remedy application, for example an application for financial provision for a child, usually made by a parent who was not married to the other parent.

Which leaves us with Form E2. Form E2 is used on an application to vary a financial remedy order. The most common situation here is where there is a spousal maintenance order, and one spouse wishes to increase or decrease the amount of the maintenance. Form E2 is the shortest of the three forms, as the court only requires limited information to decide the application.

You can find some tips on completing a Form E in this post, although as stated there you should really seek the assistance of an expert family lawyer. We can find you an expert that works with you on our digital platform. For more information, call us on 020 3904 0506, or click here, and fill in the form.

*          *          *

Family Law Cafe offers a modern, agile and compassionate approach to family law, giving you a helping hand when you need it and guiding you through the complexities of this difficult and stressful area. Family Law Cafe is your start-point for getting matters sorted with strategy, support and security.

Image: Public Domain, via Piqsels